11.10.2013

So Here We Are



Ah, Paris.

Christian and I have a system for pre-trip planning; he is the logistics guru and I am the culture-food-museum-experiential researcher. I comb through cookbooks, guidebooks, magazine articles, best-of-lists, UNESCO sites, and sometimes, if I'm lucky, children's books. Paris is even more delightful then usual when viewed through children's literature. Xavier at 18 months is not particularly interested in all of these stories and illustrations just yet, but I love them and someday soon I know he will love them too. Below are a few of my favorites to transport you to Paris, whenever you need a fix.




~~~





~~~





~~~





~~~





~~~





Xavier's favorite at the moment, is Bon appetit! Monsieur Lapin, a gift from his cousin Raphaele).





And my current favorite by Maira Kalman, whose work I adore....






"Allo? Allo Jacques?
Jacques, it is me, Mimi.
Oui. Oui. Mimi. I just got off 
the phone with Kiki.
Oh Jaques, not Fifi, Kiki.
Listen. Zouzou called Loulou,
Loulou called Coco,
Coco called Kiki,
and Kiki called me me.
Have you heard the latest?
Tout Paris is abuzz. Max is here!
Who is Max??? Mon dieu!
Sacre bleu! He is the coolest cat,
I mean the hottest dog,
He is Max Stravinsky.
The dog poet from New York.
That bohemian beagle. He's
staying at Madame Camembert's
I don't know what he's going 
to do, but I will call Tarte.
Tarte Tartin. She finds out 
everything from that bogus 
Barcelonian baron,
Federico de Potatoes,
who is a fortune hunter or
a fortune teller or something
but he is tres intelligent and
he always gives her the scoop.
Allors, I must run.
My souffle is sinking.
Jacques, there is something
in the air. Don't you think?
I think it is very, oh so very....
oh-la-la!"


No comments:

Post a Comment