12.31.2013

Here Comes the Jackpot Question in Advance

Maybe it's much 
Too early in the game
Ooh, but I thought 
I'd ask you just the same
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's eve?

Wonder whose arms 

Will hold you good and tight
When it's exactly 
Twelve o'clock that night
Welcoming in the New Year
New Year's eve

Maybe I'm crazy to suppose

I'd ever be the one you chose
Out of the thousand invitations
You received

Ooh, but in case 

I stand one little chance
Here comes 
The jackpot question in advance
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's Eve?

           ~ 1947 lyrics by Fred Loesser

Lena Horne, Barbara Streiseand, Barry Manilow, Diana Krall, Bette Midler, Rod Stewart, Harry Connick Jr., Zooey Deschenal and even the Head and the Heart sing it.  But Ella Fitzgerald is the one who sings it, in my humble opinion, the very best.  You can listen to her croon it right here.


Four years ago, what I was doing on New Year's Eve was eloping with Christian to the Seattle Courthouse.  The heavens were cooperating and it was a cold, clear night and an actual blue moon rose over the city, that rare event when we get an extra full moon in a calendar year.  My sister came to be my witness and Christian's old friend Dave was his.  After the quick ceremony we had a festive dinner at Tavolata, the restaurant where we had our first date.  We felt like everyone out in the world celebrating the New Year was joining in our party.  It was a giddy and magical night.  Ever since then, "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" has been our song and each time I hear it I feel we are starting our lives afresh.


In addition to celebrating my wedding anniversary, I love the tradition of New Year's Eve to begin a brand new year, full of promise and hope.  The gift of possibility is a potent thing.  Now if only we can all remember to hold on to that feeling every day of the year, like Emily Dickinson wrote, "I dwell in possibility..."  

I wish all of you a year full of beautiful possibilities. May your lives brightly shine this New Year and throughout 2014!



No comments:

Post a Comment